Instagram is expanding a feature that filters out ‘sensitive’ content, which may affect some accounts.
Use Sensitive Content Control under the Settings menu, users can choose how much or how little sensitive content is visible across Search, Videos, Accounts You Follow, Hashtag Pages, and Expert Chef.
Sensitive Content Control was first introduced in July 2021, although it only affected the Browse feed
If you publish content that Instagram considers ‘sensitive,’ your ad reach will be less if people start using Advanced Content Control.
Here’s more information on how the feature works and how the content looks like.
Content Control Choices Affect Social Security
Sensitive content is defined by Instagram as “posts that don’t violate our rules, but may offend some people.”
In particular, this includes:
- Content that depicts violence, including people fighting.
- Content that is sexually explicit or suggestive, such as pictures of people wearing revealing clothing.
- Content that promotes the use of certain products, including tobacco or vape products, adult products and services, or prescription drugs.
- Content that promotes or displays cosmetic practices.
- Content that tries to sell products or services based on health-related claims, for example, supplements that help with weight loss.
Content Control Options
There are three options available for managing sensitive content on Instagram.
The options are:
- Standard: This is the default mode, which limits some content.
- Others: Allows users to access more sensitive content.
- Less: Restricts sensitive content to a greater extent than the default mode.
The “more” option is not available for users under 18 years of age.
Instagram Tools aims to let users customize the experience
This update to Basic Content Control is the latest addition to the series of tools offered by the social media platform that allow users to create their own Instagram experience.
Other features include Speech Control, Restrict, Block and Mute. Instagram hopes to enhance and expand these tools over time.
To change the Sensitive Content Control, follow these steps:
- Click on “Settings” from your home page.
- Click on “Account then “Control Sensitive Content”
- Select which content level you want to apply.
- Tap “Confirm.”
Featured Image: Image from about.instagram.com/blog/, June 2022.